Saturday, April 28, 2012

Exercise vs Indulgence

In case you're wondering why I haven't been talking about my running (usually all I talk about), well the reason is that I have not been running since January.

For those who haven't heard, my knee has been hurting me since last fall.  I had an MRI before I left the states with inconclusive results, so my primary doc told me to not run until an orthopedist looked at the knee.  Since I put off going to see her until right before I left (what a surprise!) that meant no running for six months.  The true irony is that I now have the time to run as much as I want, but I can't.  Needless to say, I am sad about not being able to run and plan to see the orthopedist the day after I return to Bangor.  My other usual mode of exercise back home was going to the gym, but here I couldn't find a gym to join because the ones close to our flat were either not taking new members or tiny and expensive.

So, none of my usual exercise combined with lots of delicious food to indulge in.  Something about new treats to try makes me just want to eat more and more.  Plus, I always convince myself that I can't have this back home, so I should have it now.

Our flat came equipped with an espresso machine, which I thought was a waste of counter space until I made a decaf cappuccino!  Yum!!



Biscuit (cookie) varieties -- double yum!!  Not to digress, but Dark Chocolate Hobnobs (like a more oaty digestive biscuit) are the best ever.  But everyone else's favorites are Declan -- Jammy Dodgers (cream filled cookies with jam), Liam -- shortbread fingers, Cormac -- Marylands (chocolate chip).


Jammy Dodgers, Butter Crinkles, Shortbread fingers, Marylands

Add in scones, wholemeal breads, chips, crisps (I used to avoid most carbs).  Never mind, candy (more posts coming soon).  And all the meals in restaurants.  You can see the problem looming -- too much indulgence, not enough exercise.

To counter the indulgences, I have been riding a borrowed bike.  We're lucky to have bike trails near our house, so I don't have to ride on the city roads.  I do some hill work (run up, walk down) despite the knee pain.  And, I've tried to do some weight work using my body weight and these heavy books (with limited results).


But the term has ended at the university, so I joined their gym that has real weights, a pool, and cardio machines.  Hopefully, this will make sure my jeans still fit by the time we depart Glasgow.  And, back in the states an orthopedist will tell me, "We can rebuild you.  We have the technology.  We can make you better...stronger...faster."  (points to you if you remember what those lines are from; hint, I would love a bionic knee)  Then, I will be back baby!!

1 comment:

  1. Finally catching up on your blog, Lindsay Wagner. :-)

    Such fun to tag along.

    ReplyDelete