Sunday, July 1, 2012

Language Barriers

So, after traveling to countries where they don't speak English, I'm grateful that we chose an English speaking country to settle for six months.  One of the hardest part of not speaking the language, besides feeling like a toddler (how much that?), is the inability to make small talk.  You can't pass the time with shopkeepers, discuss the weather with waitstaff, etc.  It adds another layer of separateness which for a longer period could be quite isolating.  Of course, when I returned to Glasgow, I found I had lost a little of my ear for the accent so can't really understand what they're saying here either, then I thanked the bookstore cashier with "Danke."

Call me shallow, but I did appreciate people coming up to me on the streeet and speaking French or German to me.  Felt like I did not appear like an ugly American tourist if people were talking to me in the native language.  Of course, any attempt at being cool and local immediately dissipated when I had to say, "Je ne parle pas francais."  But at least in France I could make basic interactions -- ask for three croissants and a baguette -- while in Germany, I did not understand anything.  It feels a little rude to not be able to even begin a request in the local language.  But Germans have excellent English skills, so we didn't suffer too much, except for our pride.

Now, we're showing our friends the Thompson-Dickersons and the Baker-Heans around Glasgow for a couple of days before heading up to the Highlands for a castle tour.  Let's hope we can understand the northern Scots!

No comments:

Post a Comment