Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Farriers and Stained Glass

For my dad and Holly's first full day, we took them to the Pollok Park to see the gardens and the Burrell Collection.  Pollok Country Park includes the original estate house, outbuildings and gardens; Clydesdale horses and Highland cattle; an art museum and cafe; playground; prehistoric circle; and lovely woods.  Definitely worth a visit if you're ever in Glasgow.

I love seeing the gardens in our regular haunts of Glasgow as they change over time.  I was in the Pollok House gardens less than a month ago with my mom, and since then the perennials have leaped into action and the spring bulbs have been supplanted by primroses.  One of my favorite parts of these extensive gardens is the Japanese section with its waterfalls and rocks.


Grampy befriends a kitty

My paternal grandfather was the groom for Amelia Peabody, so my father grew up in a house that was adjacent to the stables of Miss Peabody's home in Dover, Mass.  This horse connection made a trip to the estate's stables nostalgic for my dad, especially when we saw the farriers replacing the horses' shoes and talked with some of the workers about what horses get fed now compared to back when my dad was growing up (no eggs, no hot bran mash, more fiber).

hammering the shoe into the right shape

checking the fit -- that steam is from the hot shoe pressed against the horse's hoof

adjusting the fit

A quick trip by the Highland cattle who live in the park.



We had a delicious lunch in the cafe at the Burrell -- best options: baked potato with chickpea and mushroom tikka topping or tuna melt panini.  Then, took a tour of Burrell's collection of stained glass with a guide who had loads of information to share.  Very interesting, but I think the guides in general could tell a bit less so that the listener can absorb more (have to remember that when I go back to teaching).  Below are the three most common depictions we saw -- heraldry, saints and biblical scenes.

combined family crests

Saint Barbara, patron saint of gun makers

figures kneeling along the bottom are the donors and their seven children

No comments:

Post a Comment